Prayer lists are very helpful when seeking to intentionally spend time with God. They can be developed over the day or the week. When developing a prayer list, it is helpful to think of our three main prayer focuses.
Intimacy: Focuses on giving your love and devotion to God.
- This type of prayer includes worship, meditation on the Word (pray-reading it), and fellowship with the Spirit.
Petition: Asks for God’s blessing on your personal life and ministry.
- Pray for a breakthrough in our inner man (heart), circumstances (physical, financial, relational), and ministry, that God’s power would be released through our hands, words, and deeds.
Intercession: Asks for God’s power or justice. for others: (people, places, strategic issues).
- Prayer for people and places: Individuals in ministries, marketplace, and government, and for the destiny of ministries, cities, or nations.
- Prayer for Strategic issues in society: Government (elections), oppression (human trafficking, abortion), natural disasters (hurricanes, droughts), diseases, etc.
When developing a prayer list, it is helpful to understand that there are three main prayer themes.
We ask for the gifts, fruit, and wisdom of the Spirit to be released in each prayer focus:
- Gifts of the Spirit: God’s power and favour being released.
- Fruit of the Spirit: God’s character formed in us or others.
- Wisdom of the Spirit: God’s mind or the spirit of revelation imparted.