12 segments – 5 minutes in each step of prayer = 1 hour!
STEP 1: PRAISE
- “Enter His presence with praise”.
- Praise God for who He is — think about His righteousness, His Word, His strength, His love.
- Read Psalm 100 and Psalm 150.
- Go through the alphabet and praise Him for something that begins with each letter (for example: Lord, I praise You because You are Almighty, Beautiful, Caring, etc).
STEP 2 – WAITING
- “Be still and know that I am God”.
- Clear out the clamouring thoughts from your mind – slow down.
- Read Isaiah 40:28-31.
STEP 3 – CONFESSION
- Read 1 John 1:9 & Psalm 139:23.
- Ask God to search your heart and bring to light anything within you that is wrong.
- Confess your sin to God – ask Him to cleanse you from all unrighteousness – to make you clean on the inside .
- Be sure to check you attitudes, motives, thoughts and words as well as your actions against God or your fellow man.
- When you’ve completed this step – thank Him for His grace and forgiveness.
STEP 4 – SCRIPTURE PRAYING
- Open your Bible and look for verses to pray.
- Put yourself into the verse. For example: “My God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory” Phil. 4:19 “Lord, I have read this promise and I believe you will supply my need for ___________. Thank you for being true to your word”.
STEP 5 – WATCHING
- Read Matt. 26:41, Col. 4:2.
- Watch for methods Satan may try to use to hinder your Christian walk this day. Prayerfully claim power to defeat Satan in each of these areas.
- Pray against Satan, and for the advancement of God’s kingdom.
- Pray for specific people, that they may not fall into temptation.
STEP 6 – INTERCESSION (PRAYER FOR OTHERS)
- Pray your list.
- Pray for the MCF Leadership team.
- Pray for a member of the military that you know does not know Jesus. Pray for their salvation.
- Pray for our chaplains.
- Pray specifically for people and their needs as the Holy Spirit brings them to your mind.
- Pray for the sick, the lost, the hurting, the church, the pastors, your family, your friends, your neighbours (… the list can be endless).
STEP 7 – PETITION (PRAYING FOR YOUR OWN NEEDS)
- What do you need from the Lord? Ask Him!
- Read Matthew 7:7.
- Do you have faith to believe that God will answer your prayer?
- Most importantly pray for God’s will to be done in your life.
STEP 8 – THANKSGIVING
- Thank Him for what He has done.
- Think about your many blessings.
- Thank Him for His grace, His Son’s sacrifice, His gift of eternity.
STEP 9 – SINGING
- Sing Psalm 100:2, Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16.
- Sing choruses or hymns unto the Lord.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to create an original melody in your heart so your song is truly “a new song” (Psalm 144:9).
STEP 10- MEDITATION
- Read Psalm 62:5, Psalm 1:1-2, Psalm 77:12.
- Focus on God’s word, on God’s works, on past victories, on positive thoughts.
STEP 11 – LISTENING
- Listen for God’s guidance and prompting. He speaks to us silently – in the heart. If you pause and ask God, He will speak to you.
- Do not hesitate to ask God very specific questions about different problems or situations.
- Be prepared to write down any ideas God may share concerning the details of solving that problem.
STEP 12- PRAISE (Start with praise and end with praise)
- Praise Him and thank Him for what He has done for you during your hour of prayer.
- Praise Him and thank Him for what He is going to do.
- Let your heart rejoice as you end your prayer. Repeat the universal word for praise – HALLELUJAH.